Saturday, July 10, 2010

A visit with mom

The other night while visiting with my mother, aunt, and younger cousins I realized that my childhood is about to end and people are going to expect things of me that I had always thought I was prepared for. That is, until last Tuesday...I was talking with my aunt and she starting telling me things about her children and things in her life that adults would normally not tell a teenager, but as a seventeen year-old going into my second year at college she apparently thought I was just as an adult as she is.

My Aunt Denae starting ranting about how her son Kyle was such a disappointment to her. She started telling me about her twelve year-old son who steals cigarettes, runs away, and has a reading level of a second grader like she doesn't care what others would think or with any remorse to Kyle hearing every word she said. Then, Denae proceeded telling me horrible things that had happened to her children while they where with an adopted family while she had them taken away from her for eight months.

At around 1:00 AM my aunt started yelling into the house for Kyle, who came out to the porch after several very loud screams from Denea. Then again she proceeded talking shit on her own son right in front of him. I wanted to interrupt her and ask her to stop, but I didn't have the courage to get into a fight with a drunk lady. Whenever my cousin tried to respond to her ugly comments she told him to shut up because "he didn't know". "You don't even let me talk," he said.


This continued for about fifteen minutes and I started to realize that the reason for Kyle's behavior is probably because his mother treats him like shit. How is a twelve year-old boy supposed to deal with his mother being drunk every night while being bombarded with insults from both his mother and her boyfriend? I also learned that he is on all kinds on medication such as Prozac and something to help his "ADHD" just so the family can get a check from the government.

I thought I needed to help Kyle in some way so the only thing that came to mind that I could do right then was to just tell him that he was not that person his mother says he is and tell him he is an amazing human being. So, after everyone else went to bed I walked into his room to tell him what I thought of his mother. He was awake of course, just like most children during summer vacation. I sat down and told him what I had thought about him and his mother, which in turn he said he knew already, but I saw something different in his eyes then...hope.

That night I realized that some of the bliss from childhood is still there, but some people in my life expect that to be gone by now. Is it right to talk to a seventeen year-old like he is forty? I'm not sure it is...they say I am mature for my age but being able to handle a lot of surprising truths about your family is another matter entirely. I also feel I need to help my cousin have a good childhood, and get him away from his mother for awhile. I'm still thinking on how I should do this, but I'm sure I'll come up with something.

6 comments:

  1. wow i can tell this is going to be a great blog. you right very well. and my heart is just been torn out. i will become a follower and will read the rest right off.
    loki

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for your kind words Loki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't believe some could be so cruel to their own son. Talk about a disappointment. Children have enough trouble believing in themselves. I'm glad you reached out to him. Maybe you can be a role model to him and help him believe that he can be more than his shit mom keeps telling him.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've seen that kind of crap before in my roles as a teacher, friend,coach and little boy. In fact Kyle is me back when I was young. I didn't fit the profile of what my grandpa thought a "boy" should be. So for years he would call me names and encourage my brother to do the same. The result was a boy with no self-esteem, closed off hiding his real emotions and always feeling there was something inherently wrong with him.

    In my other roles I found that kids respond to a couple things. Ask them what they really think and really listen to what they have to say. They can tell when you're really listening. The hope you gave Kyle is a huge step in the right direction. I can already see you have a big heart. Kyle deserves someone like you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi there I just when through your last post about your cousin, first I think you are an amazing human being with a very deep insight in to others, and I love that, I just wanted to offer some advice to you about your cousin, for 12 years of my childhood I lived with my stepmother who was exactly as you described your aunt, being a dyslexic child and having to deal with my one sexuality, being constantly verbally abused, and every now and again physically abused I feel I can relate to your cousin a bit, first his ADD or ADHD, his behaviour and his reading level are all classic signs of dyslexia, dyslexic people often get misdiagnosed as ADD or ADHD, I went through the very same thing, about a year ago I read a book on dyslexia which changed my life, and yes lol I know a dyslexic reading a book on dyslexia may sound ironic but dyslexic’s can learn to read if the right methods are employed, if you really want to help him get (the gift of dyslexia, by Ronald Davis) read it you self and help him to understand himself, the best thing you can do is earn his trust and be his friend, the first friend I had since grade two was luke in grade 9 by being my friend he saved my life. If you have any questions at all, please email me at Kurt_mole@yahoo.com. P.S sorry for my bad writing skills lol.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just getting started with your blog, and all I can say is WOW! What a thing to have to deal with at 17! I had a foster son who put up with much of what Kyle is putting up with. His mother was more absent than outright abusive, though those elements were there in some measure, too. Btu take heart. B came to live with me, spent 4 years with me, then his mom somehow managed to sober up and find a reasonable man, and he moved back. Now he's got a good job, a nice wife, and great kids! So there can be hope!
    Jay

    ReplyDelete